PROTOS - Security Testing of Protocol Implementations
Protocols are used for communication between software functions, software modules, software components, software packages, or even between the software and the user. Information security is constantly endangered by errors in the contemporary protocol implementations. The PROTOS project will research different approaches of testing implementations of protocols using black-box (i.e. functional) testing methods. The goal is to support pro-active elimination of faults with information security implications. Awareness in these issues is promoted. Methods are developed to support customer driven evaluation and acceptance testing of implementations. Improving the security robustness of products is attempted through supporting the development process.
- Published documentation produced in the PROTOS project:
PROTOS Genome 2004 - 2007
As an follow-up for the original PROTOS project, ?PROTOS Protocol Genome Project was established. Results from the research will be public.
PROTOS 2002 - 2003
- The PROTOS project will be continued through funding from the laboratory and sponsoring companies. The research group ensures that the results from the research funded with the grants will mainly be public.
Microsoft Research has given the research group a grant of 20000 USD, for supporting MSc Thesis work during the year 2002, to be published.
Codenomicon Ltd. is sponsoring the research group, by giving the testing framework for the research group to use, at no charge.
PROTOS 1999 - 2001
Research in the PROTOS 1999 - 2001 project was done through a partnership between University of Oulu and VTT Electronics. The project was funded by the National Technology Agency (TEKES) and supported by two partner companies from telecommunication industry. Primary contractor was the Computer Engineering Laboratory of the University of Oulu.
- This applied research project had a duration of three years. Project was phased and themed as follows:
- PROTOS 1999 - Academic focus [OUSPG Volume ~90kEUR] [completed]
- PROTOS 2000 - Customer focus [OUSPG Volume ~90kEUR] [completed]
- PROTOS 2001 - Vendor focus [OUSPG Volume ~140kEUR] [completed Feb 2002]
- Preferred way of contacting the project personnel is through PROTOS working group mailing list. Please remove SPAMLESS before delivery.